The sound of music can be richer outdoors, whether you’re sitting under a pavilion, grooving on the grounds or relaxing on a blanket. Many music lovers just returned from The Roots Picnic in Philadelphia and others are descending upon the Baltimore-Washington corridor for the annual Capital Jazz Fest.
Listening to music is a fun way to relax, ease stress and enjoy time with friends and family. Here are just a few outdoor concerts, where you can catch some of your favorite singing sisters this summer:
- Patti Austin, Chrisette Michelle, India Arie, Amel Larrieux, Deborah Cox and Meshell Ndegeocello are among the artists performing this weekend at the Capital Jazz Fest in Columbia, Md.
- Macy Gray and Charmaine Neville will be at the Oregon Food Bank’s Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland on Friday, July 3.
- Jill Scott sings at the Pier Six Pavillion in Baltimore on Saturday, July 18. It’s also great to hear the music from a boat on the Inner Harbor.
- Cynthia Holiday joins the Eric Frazier Quartet at the sixth annual Fort Greene Park Jazz Festival in Brooklyn on Saturday, July 25, and Saturday, Sept. 12.
- Cassandra Wilson pays homage to Billie Holiday at the Newport Jazz Festival on Saturday, Aug. 1. Also on the day’s lineup is Lisa Fischer, who has performed with Luther Vandross, Sting and the Rolling Stones. She’s bringing her own band, Grand Baton.
- Gladys Knight and The O’Jays will appear at Chastain Park in Atlanta on Tuesday, Aug. 25.
About Fierce Fridays — Tips for Weekend Well-Being
We each cherish those precious days off at the end of the week, but increasingly those of us who are charter members of the sisterhood of the stressed and overworked are losing our Saturday and Sunday leisure time to weekend work and domestic duties.
To make sure that you do something every weekend that’s just for you, we’ll be sharing a little advice to make those 48 hours a great time to recharge your batteries, bring a little good news into your life, or discover a quick and easy way to improve your health.
FAST FORWARD: A look at the many flavors of Lisa Fischer’s career.